Seven Tips To Improve Your Gas Mileage
Our gas mileage tips can help you reduce the amount of gas you use. If you are already following these tips, you are probably getting the best gas mileage your car can deliver. If not, here are seven tips that can help you:
- Do not drive too fast – Most vehicles has an optimal speed of between60 and 70 km per hour. Gas mileage normally decreases rapidly above 90 km per hour.
- Inflate the tire properly – Under-inflated tires increases foot print and grip but can lower gas mileage by 0.3 percent per PSI drop.
- Remove the unnecessary weight – A lighter vehicle requires less power. Remove unnecessary items, especially the heavy ones.
- Keep your car in good shape – Use recommended motor oil and changing them as recommended by manufacture, keeping your engine properly tuned,ensuring the oxygen sensor in good shape, etc.
- Close the windows when driving – Open windows adds extra drag. Some studies showed that air conditioner is normally more fuel efficient than open windows on highway.
- Avoid unnecessary idling – Any more than 10 seconds of idling uses more fuel than restarting the engine. If you’re not stopped in traffic, turn off your engine.
- Plan your route – Combine errands and try to avoid heavy traffic areas and road construction to save fuel.
Check out our calculator to help calculate your gas mileage.